Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Day in the Life..

To give us a glimpse into her day-to-day life is Alana Dauman who is a Senior from Thornton, Colorado representing the Bears in the backstroke events.

Senior Swimmer Alana Dauman
A Day in the Life of Alana Dauman.................................
A straight plunge into the depths of what ultimately lies beneath the surface.   Diving only deep enough to where there’s no point in returning.  We are faced with the unknown, our fate is yet to be determined and the challenge has already been set up for us.  I stand frigid behind the blocks, watching the ripples of the water disappear.
 It’s another day, and after almost hitting the snooze on my alarm I jump up, and race to practice to get ready for a morning of weights.  In an instance, my 8 am class calls and I am in for another day of classes and a good amount of studying.
  Today, I learned about the different parts of the body and how they react to exercise from a physics point of view. I learned that EKG’s, or in other words the heart monitors that are hooked up to people in the hospital, aren’t as easy to read as they look.  And it really isn’t just, is the person alive or not.  I learned that knowing your sexual identity isn’t based just solely on your personality and what you like to do.  It’s also how you view yourself as a person, and how you react to others.  I learned that the human body is made up of many different systems all working together as one.  I’ve learned in college it’s not how smart you are its how much you apply yourself.  Knowledge is ultimately contagious! 
Off to swim practice, we start with dry-land and then move onto two hours of intense swimming, the day is almost over.  Studying is the next item on my agenda.  Swimming at the collegiate level has taught me how important managing your time is.  It’s a skill that I have acquired and learned to stick by in order to get the grades needed.  At last, it’s time for some sleep, fatigue has set in to the extreme and sleep is easy to come.         
The time is now, the time is here, and nothing else matters.  It’s my last chance, my last big meet at the end of the season, its three years of hard work and all of it’s soon going to pay off.  It’s the last glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel and I couldn’t be more excited to see how it’s all going to end.  This team is what has gotten me through, made it worth it, and when everything else fails they’re the ones still there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment