Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Senior's Reflection-Sammy Leonard

The Seniors of Northern Colorado Swimming and Diving have dedicated the past four years to the university and their team. On Saturday January 28 they will be honored in front of a home crowd, and each day on our blog you can read about their time at NC.

Today's blog comes from Sammy Leonard who swims the backstroke events for the Aquabears.

It is amazing how fast 4 years can fly by. When I first came to UNC and met all the girls on the team I expected to gain more friends I never expected that I would gain a second family away from home. When I think about the 4 years that I have been on this team there is only one thing that comes to mind and that is my teammates. They are the ones that gave me the strength to get through these years, they were always there to help me get through a really tough practice, and they were there for any other support that I needed.
Some of the best memories that I have had on this team would have to be all of the meets and the activities we do as a team that helps bring us closer together.  I mean, how many teams do you know of that go on camping trips with the entire team and learn about everyone’s life and still come back stronger than ever after spending two days in the woods?…. Not many!

When it comes to thinking about the meets I would say the one that I will ALWAYS remember is conference every year, these meets will be in my mind for the rest of my life. Probably not on what I went or what someone else went but I will remember all the laughs that we had while on these trips that will include how many times we got lost or how many times we had to do a U-turn (I lost count). Also just the great moods everyone was in because we were all swimming great and surpassing all the times that any of us ever thought that we would be able to go.

So with my time on this team I have learned that no matter how bad a day is or how terrible a practice was all I had to do is look for one of my amazing teammates and they were there for me every time. Because after being a part of a team that I have had the experience to be with I won’t remember a practice or my 100 backstroke time at the New Mexico meet what I will remember is the time spent with my team/friends/family.

No comments:

Post a Comment