Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Day in the Life

This week's A Day in the Life comes from freshman Hannah Abelein who is from Loveland, CO.  Hannah swims the backstroke and IM events for the Bears.

It’s Monday, at that magical time of day, 5:20 am. Approximately four days a week this is the time when my lovely phone is set to greet me for morning practices. Of course I spring out of bed, chipper and ready to greet the day! Sort of. Well, actually I’m the most sluggish of my wonderful roommates, so while I’m still wandering around dazed and confused from sleep, they are all ready to take on the world. Thank goodness they wait for me every morning, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be able to find my way to fabulous Butler-Hancock, the building where all of this swimming business goes down. On this fine day we have weights with Coach Emily, which always makes for an exciting morning. Not to mention that for the past couple of weeks we have enjoyed the privilege of getting to lift weights after the football team, and let me tell you, that is always an adventure! Unfortunately at seven we have to say goodbye to Coach Emily and our new football friends, because now it’s time for breakfast and classes. I usually eat breakfast in our room because, as an avid procrastinator, I not only have to get ready for the day, I also probably have a few last minute things to put together for classes. But of course everything always gets done. Or else.
Monday classes always pose a win-lose situation for me: in all four classes today, I have one or two fabulous teammates to work with and keep me going—WIN!! But I have four classes today…lose. First, it’s off to psychology with Jamie, where we ace our test, because we’re awesome...and we studied. Then to Chemistry with Kellie and Claire where our good-humored teacher talks about football and marathons, and makes corny Chemistry jokes e.g. “Well now it’s time for us to leave so I guess now we ARE GONE! Argon…get it?” I pause for a quick lunch, which I have to pick up to-go, then I put my thinking cap back on for Global issues with Miss Gina C. and our lovely, English-accented professor. Today, he gets entirely too excited about the global issue in question, which makes it even more difficult to understand what he is saying. But that’s ok with me because he is still hilarious. My last class is American History with one of my fantastic roommates, Casey, where we learn about the fascinating birth of these United States!
 I leave straight after class for dryland and swim practice, which is quite the afternoon escapade, because once you walk through those pool doors you never know what you’re going to get! Thankfully it’s backstroke for me today, which is always buckets of fun, and it’s even more fun with my teammates who, as always, are there pushing me to get better, resulting in a fantastic practice for everyone. Afterwards, it’s off to dinner with my dinner buddy, Melissa: 4:30 pm, every day, count on it! Once dinner is over, and the fantastic four (a.k.a. 520 North Hall) are all congregated back in the room, it’s roomie time! The most exciting part of the day, obviously, because who knows what shenanigans we’ll get up to. Movie night?  Brownie/cookie baking?  Crazy musical mischief? Yes! Life up here at UNC never gets boring, especially when I get to spend every day with my favorite group of girls ever. And no, nothing could ever replace the time I am having right now. GO BEARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment